Thursday, 10 November 2011

Beauty and its miss-conception


How can I describe the beauty?
beauty has a lot of meanings at least for me and it depends on each one's  perspective.
Quickly,  the concept that comes up to my mind is the universal one, in which beauty has a wholly physical meaning, the one in which a beautiful person is who can unleash admiration (or envy in most cases) for their Harmony, symmetry and in some cases youth. of course it is a very subjective topic in which a lo t of variables reach their effect, yet not only the fist thought that comes to your mind is worth trusting.

Hence, me as well as many people I know tend to think differently.
When it comes to beauty, there’re a lot of things involved such as charisma, kindness, spirit, personality and so on. However, there are still people who keep on insisting beauty is something you can buy. This is the main reason of today’s post.

Living in Auckland I had the chance to take a bit of rest of the Latin American beauty standards and the pressure media has over people. I’m by no means trying to say people in New Zealand is not beautiful, nevertheless, there I wasn’t exposed as much female degrading advertisement as I’m used to back in hometown.

I had the opportunity to watch T.V. without feeling upset for sexual scenes in family time or for over the top scenes. I could walk in the streets without the sense of me being measured for hundreds of billboards shooting you with information of how you must look like, how your demeanor should be and what kind of clothes you are expected to wear and more important, I wasn’t concerned whatsoever about what my measures should be so as to be desirable upon other’s people eyes.

That is not to say there’s a lack of media advertisement in New Zealand is just I noticed the levels of women exposure for commercial purposes are minimal compared with the outright levels in my country.

In my View, It is a complete shame because even though we women in Colombia are considered part of the work force and  to some extend we are regarded equal to men, we are still a commercial sexual item.

Last week I was in a launching event of a soup opera named “la traicionera” or The Betrayer in which all the attendants had the chance to see the first episode in premiere. I was Like “what the hell is going on here?” when I started to see a nude scene without any sense. The main female character was brushing her hair naked while arguing with her grandmother. Tt doesn’t have sense at all.

It only means to me the uncensored levels we have reached in order to gain audiences.

I consider myself an open minded person but it doesn’t mean that I have to accept the dodgy strategies media uses to manipulate their viewers.

I don’t know whether I’m being Old fashioned when principles about but honestly, I think we are enpowered to play a role far important than making our bodies a subject of mistaken adoration exposing them blatantly and senseless and making millions of women feel embarrassed and miserable for not being as the ones they see in magazines.

I think the meaning of feminine liberation has been misunderstood making people believe physical beauty, perfect bodies and fake physical attributes are women's tools to be successful. By this, media has overtaken the real conception of what make us more humans and less false characters taken up from magazines and T.V.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking FHWS on your blog. I have returned the favor. Will answer your question on my blog as soon as possible insha'Allah.

    ReplyDelete