Tuesday, 29 November 2011

Beautiful people Mashallah!!




Last saturday I went to a turkish mosque here in the city I live in , Bogota. I was expectant, anxious and unpretentious to some extend, I was rather just waiting for the natural course of the situation to catch something new to learn. This new experience has broadened my horizon more and more.

Truth be told, everything was kind of weird, women were coming in and out all of them with their hair covered and modesty clothing just as I thought it would be. Even though, there was a sense of awkwardness it's hard for me to describe. jaja Maybe it was because I'd never been in a mosque before and I'm still processing the experience. 

I was amazed to see the smiles in their faces, vanishing the oppression idea out of my mind, Idea which is pretty common on western people's mind, a complete shame yet, to be honest, I was one more of the rest who thought Muslim people were just extremist and to some extend, fanatics, however, never is too late to fix things up and fight the conditioning imposed by ignorant ones.

Unfortunately, those stigmas are impossible to fight unless you are interested in getting to know something about the culture and what happen within, something that fortunately has happened to me and it has allowed me to understand the reasons behind certain behaviours and customs and mostly it has showed me the reality of a misunderstood world.


Everybody in the mosque was enormously kind with me but some Colombian girls around who were taken classes of Turkish arts and whose gazes were pointing at me with some kind of contempt. Such an appalling demeanor.

Anyway, I didn’t let them to spoil my crown moment.  

Later, after entering to the mosque, I was welcomed and almost immediately I was asked to have lunch with them which confirmed to me how welcoming and warm-hearted Muslim people could be; the plate of the day was a beans, potato and meat spicy soup, rice, cabbage salad and a delicious passion fruit juice, my favorite ever. you know? Although I had the chance to try passion fruit in New Zealand, nothing is compared with the taste of it here in Colombia, it's simply amazing.

After that, I was conduced to the women room, simply beautiful, it was ornamented with really nice and luxurious furniture, huge rugs and feminine wallpaper creating a complete cozy atmosphere, we (the friend who took me there and me) were asked to take off our shoes to get in, as I think it’s usual in the east countries and I proceeded to have a sit in one of the pretty sofas.

I spent like an hour or so making questions, resolving doubts and hearing what my guide had to say to me in order to clear my mind, yet, as everybody knows, the time is the major inclement protagonist of our lives, my time was over and I needed to go to work. Nevertheless, and if like there hadn't been enough with all the kindness demonstrations I witnessed that afternoon, they surprised me again giving me a book about the Mohammad prophet.

Is there something else should I have asked for?

4 comments:

  1. Investigating a new culture is always very exciting and useful, so I believe you're on the right way. Just try to stay realistic as you are. By the way, our new flatmate who came instead of Giovanni is from Saudi Arabia. And it was very unexpected for me to know that he is a big fan of alcohol and parties. He also has a Russian girlfriend. And does not want to go back to his country at all. So all people are very different from each other even they are from the same country and religion:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. jajaja, Really?
    Yeah, it is common to see that sort of behaviour since they are forbidden of almost everything in their country, then when they find themselves in a place as Auckland where everything is possible I guess it must be hard not to do whatever you want to do, especially if you have money galore to do it.
    It is hard for them not to feel tempted for the western priviledges, the ones who can reach that point have a really strong will.
    what happended with Giovanny?
    have you had problems with your new surprise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Giovanni moved to the countryside to pick up strawberry. He said he felt boring in Auckland. The new one seems kind and understanding enough even his lifestyle is not suitable for our apartment. Actually we haven't had any problems with him yet. And I hope we wouldn't:)

    ReplyDelete